Language & Literature
- Oxford English Dictionary
University of Birmingham users only
- The Oxford English Dictionary is the
accepted authority on the evolution of the English language. It is an unsurpassed guide to
the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, present and past.
- If you are a University of Birmingham user
connecting from off-campus you should
to use the Oxford English Dictionary. You will need a personal ATHENS username and
password, which is obtainable from most Information Services libraries.
- Formerly A Web of Online Directories.
A gateway of major dictionaries, grammars and thesauri available
on the Web. Includes links to dictionaries in over 100 languages,
and a range of specialised English dictionaries
- A multilingual dictionary of European
- Merriam-Webster Online
- An English (US) dictionary. The WWW
equivalent of the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition.
specialty English dictionaries page
- of yourDictionary.com. Includes
scientific dictionaries, dialect dictionaries and a vast range of other specialised
- Alta Vista automatic
- Provides a rough, automatic translation of
either individual web pages or of typed text. Can translate between English and French,
German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish
automatic translation service
- More of the
Language and Literature
- Online English Grammar
- Descriptions of the main parts of speech.
Includes a search facility.
- Literature Online
University of Birmingham only
- Literature resources online. Including English
Poetry (600-1900), Shakeseare's plays, several versions of the Bible in English and a
number of other poetry, plays and prose works.
This site belongs to:
Chris Porter. Birmingham, UK. Created:
12 March 2004 [Last updated:27 April 2004]